My Fav Way To Snack
Note from Adam: Up on the blog today is my fav way to snack. Janet has discovered a fun, new term for us… Snackuterie! (a play on charcuterie). We’ll explain what snackuterie is, why it’s the best way to snack and show a few fun options!
A snackuterie board combines 3 different snacks together. Human beings are wired to want variety and novelty, and the snackuterie board delivers exactly this.
It’s a great way to combine different flavour profiles like sweet, savoury and salty. I also love to do this because I can combine a couple healthier snacks life fruit/veg and nuts/seeds with something a little snacky-er such as popcorn or chocolate chips. This is advantageous because rather than eating a giant bowl of popcorn, I have a small bowl paired with a couple healthy options and feel satisfied and happy!
Here’s our method and a few calibrations we like:
We start with a medium sized plate and divide it into thirds. Some combinations that we like are:
- 2 tbls. of krisda chocolate chips, 1 cup of pop popcorn and ½ diced apple (pictured above)
- ¼ cup of toasted pumpkin seeds, ½ cup grapes, 1/3 cup roasted chickpeas (pictured above)
- 1/2 cup carrot sticks, 2 tbsp hummus, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 2tbsp chocolate chips
- 12 rice crackers + 4 slices of cheese, 1 apple, 3 squares dark chocolate
Feel free to mix and match some of your favourite items.
Here’s a simple formula you can follow:
- 1/2 cup fruit or veg
- 2 tbsp – 1/4 cup nuts/seeds
- 1 portion snacky-er item (2 tbsp choco chips, 3 squares dark chocolate, 1 cup popped popcorn)
✔ This snacking method is a great way to stabilize blood sugar because it includes healthy fats, protein and fibre.
✔ Provides your body and brain the joy of variety in food selections, but keeps calories in check.
✔ A nice dose of vitamins and minerals from fruit/veg and nuts/seeds.